Meeting Responsibilities for next week
Morgan, Susie
Miller, Douglas
Attendance Desk
McLelland, George
Pack, John
Taking Notes
Morgan, Susie
Birthdays & Anniversaries
Member Birthdays
Ken Hopley
January 3
Ted Waters OAM
January 3
Norman Thomson
January 6
Douglas Miller
January 7
Robert Jones
January 27
Join Date
John Warren
January 21, 2010
9 years
Welcome to our Club
We meet Tuesdays at 7:00 AM
Royal Far West
19 South Steyne
Manly, NSW  2095
DistrictSiteIcon District Site
VenueMap Venue Map

Hi there,
There’s no doubt we’re facing challenging times.

Nothing could have indicated this more starkly than the record low numbers attending last Tuesday’s meeting (just 8!), where we discussed three hugely significant issues: (1) the possibility due to declining memberships of merging Sydney’s last two remaining Districts into one, (2) what actions WE need to take as a Club here in Manly to bring new members on board, and (3) with our current lack of resources, the fate of our fun run: should we hold it this May (as scheduled), postpone it until later in the year, outsource it (in the process risking the loss of some valuable intellectual property) or not hold it this year, at all?


First, we’ve decided there’s too much at stake to put our fun run off. Instead, and to give us more time to get ourselves into a better shape, we’ll be deferring it until September – on Fathers Day (Sunday Sept 1): the first day of Spring, a great day for family outings, and a lead-up to the Sydney Running Festival two weeks later - just the right incentive for serious runners’ participation as well. With this in mind we’ve already received a number of significant offers of help to carry out both our important preparatory marketing and sponsorship drives, as well as to complete the huge number of logistical tasks leading up to Sept 1, on the day, and after the event. BUT WE NEED EVERY CLUB MEMBER’S HELP, BOTH DIRECTLY AND IN SOURCING OTHER VOLUNTEER SUPPORT.  With so many being most likely pretty new to their tasks, it won’t be a ‘holiday’: we’ll need all of the time we’ve now got to ensure we ‘get it right’: and that our tenth annual fun run will be our best yet.
Second, we DO want to continue growing – and our Community Leaders have confirmed through their offers of help that they want us to grow, too!  Already they are publicising and will be present at our Prospective Membership Briefing Night (on Tuesday March 12), for which we owe a vote of thanks to Royal Far West for generously offering us the use of their impressive new facilities.  BUT THIS DRIVE WILL NEED THE ACTIVE SUPPORT OF EACH ONE OF US, TOO:  EVERYONE NEEDS TO TARGET AT LEAST ONE OF THEIR FRIENDS/ASSOCIATES/NETWORKS, AS THEIR GUESTS. REMEMBER: IF YOU DON’T ASK, YOU’LL NEVER KNOW!

Happy Hunting, everyone, Doug

Tuesday 22nd January 2019

Affirmation And Toast

We give thanks for food, friends, fellowship and the opportunity to serve through Rotary. Toast to Australia

Apologies:   Norm Thomson, Lynne Shori, Beverley Leahy, Virginia Parker, George McLelland, Barbara Gardiner, David Park, David Brown

Duties:   Desk – Ted Waters; Notes - Susie Morgan; Sergeant-at-Arms – Ken Hopley


Jay Stuart introduced by Ted Waters and may be interested in assisting with the Fun Run and Walk this year

Club News

Happy birthday to Rob Jones - 27th January

Ted Waters awarded an OAM in Australia Day Honours - A big Congratulations
Sherry Midgley has tendered her resignation from the Club 

Diary Dates:

10/02/2019  Northern Beaches Rotaract BBQ Lunch/Barefoot Bowls 11am $20 
17/02/2019  Promoting Rotary Public Image 9.30am - 4.00pm
22/02/2019  Senior Festival at DY RSL 9.30am - 2pm
26/02/2019  Board Meeting - All Directors
12/03/2019  New Membership drive social evening 7pm
16/03/2019  President Elect Training for 2019/2020
29/03/2019  District Conference Newcastle
14/04/2019  District Assembly for incoming Board/Com. Members
30/04/2019  Board Meeting - All Directors
05/05/2019  Manly Scenic Fun Run & Walk
28/05/2019  Board Meeting - All Directors
12/06/2019  Stand Tall Major Event
18/06/2019  Club Changeover Dinner including guest DG-Elect Kalma McLella
29/06/2019  District Changeover
Video presentation relating to the merger of Districts 9685 and 9675. “Planning Today for a Stronger Tomorrow” This is a voluntary decision now, however if numbers in the District reduce further, then RI will force amalgamation. Membership across both Districts declined by 4.1% last year. In 1997 there were 40,000 Rotarians, 1178 clubs -average  age mid 50’s. In 2017 30,000 Rotarians, 1107 clubs - average age 71.
All clubs in both Districts will be asked to vote whether or not to merge by March 2019.  DG’s state that if there is a merge there will be more District resources to support Club projects, improved communication and Club collaboration, and a louder voice for Rotary in the region. They believe it could be an opportunity to create a new paradigm, not just continue doing more of the same. Ted believes the District may have a “larger voice” with State Government if we merge. Jack mentioned the possibility of inter-club collaboration and Doug mentioned we are attempting this with the purchase of a bus for PCYC.
James Griffin has already agreed to talk. Doug has also asked Dave Darcy and Candy Bingham (who are currently away). Doug also suggested testimonials from recipients of our donations - eg Pioneer Club House (Jason Kioko), Stand Tall - (Nick Farr-Jones) and Lynne Shori (PNG Sanitation Project). Doug also mentioned a CD he had found featuring Roger Climpson who was a previous Rotarian that contains interesting information about being a Rotarian. Doug to check how we could present the CD. Ted has been in touch with the Executive Officer of the Chamber of Commerce who has agreed for Ted to make a pitch at a meeting prior to our function on 12 March, and can also present our story in their electronic newsletter. (Ted to organise).
RFW has agreed to the use of the Reception area for our event and have kindly waived hire charges. There are no restraints on serving alcohol  on the evening. RFW can organise catering at an agreed price, or we can do this ourselves with access to the kitchen and cool room and use of the Board room for food preparation. A Committee was established including Ted, Doug, Susie , (Beverley and Virginia in absence). Doug has printed leaflets advertising the event and handed these out to those present. He will print more for next week. We currently do not have anyone volunteering to take on the social media advertising - suggestions welcome. Other suggestions for the evening include an ongoing visual presentation of some of our projects and to invite Rotaract to the function.
Doug said he was totally against having the event on 5 May and had discussed the possibility of a change of date with Belinda Sozyn - who said that 1 September is available (Fathers’ Day). Doug believes the change of date would give us an opportunity to market it through running magazines and networks and to build it up as a family event. If successful in recruiting new people, there would be additional volunteers to undertake the work. Jay believes it is possible to teach people what to do and to find the right partners to get it done. He believes there are a lot of corporates in the area who will help. It is critical to know that sufficient volunteers are available. After further discussion the club members present voted for a postponement of the event until 1 September. It was also agreed that the next morning club meeting on 5 February be totally dedicated to planning for the fun run and walk
Volunteer hours – please let Beverley Leahy know via email on a weekly basis
SERGEANT’S SESSION, and CROSS-FINES  No time but the can was rattled anyway.
Rotary District 9685 Conference 2019
For full details on the Rotary District Conference please click here
The Last Word
Image result for dilbert comic strip working hard
Weekly Newsletter from the Manly Rotary Club - 29th January 2019