Meeting Responsibilities for next week
Hopley, Ken
Vice President
Rushmer, Tracy
Desk Duties
Thomson, Norman
Attendance Officer
Thomson, Norman
Parker, Virginia
Parker, Virginia
Taking Notes
Morgan, Susie
Upcoming Events
Manly Fun Run & Walk
Sep 01, 2019
View entire list
Birthdays & Anniversaries
Join Date
Douglas Miller
August 22, 2013
6 years
John Pack
August 22, 2013
6 years
Evelyn Ciocco
August 28, 2018
1 year
Welcome to our Club
We meet Tuesdays at 6:30 AM
Royal Far West Boardroom
Wentworth Street
Manly, NSW  2095
0418 877 556
DistrictSiteIcon District Site
VenueMap Venue Map
BULLETIN NOTES 6 August 2019
Editor Susie Morgan

Affirmation and Toast

We give thanks for food, friends, fellowship and the opportunity to serve through Rotary. Toast to Australia

Apologies:  George McLelland, Lynne Shori, Evelyn Ciocco, David Brown, Tracy Rushmer, Norm Thomson, Barbara Gardiner 

Duties:   Desk – Robert Jones  Notes - Susie Morgan; Sergeant-at-Arms - Ginny Parker

Welcome: Great to see you Beverley Leahy


Apology:  A typo from last week. The Manly Surf Club project needs $20m , not $200m.                    

  • We have over 700 registered participants now that is well over for the same period “out” last year.
  • Final sponsors this year with Gold level $5000 donation – Blackmores, Medibank Private, Healthy Mummy and Bendigo Bank.
  • NRMA have indicated they will be a Platinum sponsor next year for three years at $10,000pa.
  • Printing material has had to be changed again and will be ready this week.
  • The additional sponsors have come about because of our very active social media campaign and updating of our website – thank you to Ginny (and family) and James.
  • Designated charities have had a slow start with Lifeline, Bushlink and Pioneer doing well with their fund raising so far. Royal Far West and Stand Tall have already done a lot of background work.
  • Eight banners have already been placed around the area (thank you Doug and Robert) with three more to come next week (Manly ferry wharf, somewhere on the Beach front and by the tennis courts).
  • Another MC has been confirmed, hot food truck, dancers and face painters etc. We are still attempting to find a coffee truck and photographers. James immediately put an ad on Gum Tree for volunteers. Ted to check for a high school student who may be studying photography.
  • Doug asked for a small committee to try and organize the children’s treasure hunt on the beach. (Doug, Susie, Ted). We have three young women who will volunteer on the day plus Ann Lang who may be available. 
  • The selfie-frame will be on the plaza this year, as well as the wishing well.
  • Club members are asked to bring two large shopping bags next week for a quantity of medallions. They need to be unwrapped, strung in bundles of ten and brought back the following week.
  • Bunnings have provided a quantity of equipment “in kind”.
  • Robert, Jay and Norm have spent time at the shed sorting out the logistical equipment that will be bundled in sector groups. Ken offered to help next time they go out to the shed.
  • The next stage is distribution of notices to residents two weeks out and then one week out. Thank you to club members who have volunteered for this task (and already have their leaflets).
  • With regard to signs there are three types to be erected. (a) Around 29 signs that need to be put up two weeks in advance – road signs, etc They will need a ladder to put in place. Doug will be responsible for these with his volunteers (Robert, Linton). (b) Signs which are specific to the event, for example arrows, fun run taking place, etc. that will have a note on the bottom saying “fun run in progress Sunday 1 September from 8.00am to 11.00am”. There are around 270 of these signs that can be hung the week before the run. Volunteers are required to help with this work that can be done any day throughout the week before the run. Jay will ask for volunteers at the meeting next week. (c) There are about 110 signs that need to be hung on the day of the race – “Stop”, “Road closed”, “No left turn” etc. These signs have been put into specific sectors and will be given to Sector Marshalls at the meeting next week to put up on the morning of the run.
  • Balgowlah Scouts have promised one adult and three Scouts for David Park’s water station. He needs seven large shirts. Richard will let Jay know number of T shirts he needs. Tracy is still away.
  • Neil Austen has offered to volunteer on the day of the run. Jay has been advised.
  • The white T shirts purchased for sale last year will be offered again this year (at the Manly Rotary information table). Dianne has washed and ironed around 50 and needs help! Ginnie and Susie said they will take some to wash and iron.
  • Ted reported that Robert Stephans will be in hospital for a triple by-pass this week. Robert still looks amazingly fit and walks many ks every day however has three arteries 90% blocked. Ted reiterated the need for regular check ups.
  • Robert asked if it would be possible to drill a couple of very small holes in the louvres by the front door so that our sign can be put up each week whilst we are in our meeting. Ted to check with RFW.
  • Chris Chapman, Ted and Susie had a meeting with National Parks last week to discuss a possible project to save the penguins on North Head. A proposal is being developed and should be available within the next few weeks to present to the Board. National Parks is very enthusiastic about the idea.
  • Phase two development of Royal Far West site involves demolition of all other construction on the site. A final plan for development of the site will be announced tomorrow.
  • Ken discussed the possibility of a Rotary community based function to honour Dave Darcy who is retiring in February next year. He will put the proposal to the Northern Beaches Rotary Clubs at a zone meeting this Wednesday. A suitable venue would be ICMS. All Board and club members agreed with the proposal. If the Northern Beaches clubs do not want to be involved, then Rotary Club of Manly will organize it anyway. Dave has been approached and is agreeable. Ted believes the event should be in the first two weeks of February 2020 prior to Dave’s actual retirement and also when a successor is known. Ted reminded club members of the admirable work Dave has done for the community in the Northern Beaches area. We should ensure the event doesn’t conflict with any other functions that may be organized for Dave’s retirement.
  • David Park reported on a recent Rotary Foundation meeting and how we may apply for Grants that are available. David asked club members to support the Foundation via Centurion with (at least) a $100 donation each year. Each Rotary club is obliged to support Foundation with an annual donation. District 9685 put in a total of over $540,000 last year. Nine of our club members contributed to Foundation last year. Donations are tax deductible. David Rand has retired as Chair. David distributed Centurion money boxes during the meeting. Ginny suggested that next year we may choose Foundation as one of our charities in the fun run.
  • Susie thanked members who are going to help with the Manly Village school stall on 17 August. She will confirm a roster this week.
  • Doug asked club members if they knew anyone who could care for his dog Marley while he is away for several months from September 2019. 
13/08/2019 Fun Run planning meeting regular club meeting - bring a bag for the medals
17/08/2019 Manly Public School market stall 
17/08/2019 Northern Beaches cluster Yulefest fundraiser dinner at PCYC
20/08/2019 Assembly for fun run planning (regular club meeting time and place)
26/08/2019 Briefing for Registration/Steyne Hotel volunteers at Steyne Hotel 6.30pm
27/08/2019 Assembly for fun run planning (regular club meeting time and place)
01/09/2019  Manly Scenic Fun Run & Walk - THE BIG DAY
23/09/2019  Dinner with RI President Mark Maloney 6.30pm The Deckhouse, Woolwich
24/10/2019 Train Ride to end Polio
March 2020
20/03/2020 District Conference in Wollongong
Future Guest Speakers
10/09/2019 Richard Royle CEO Northern Beaches Hospital 
​​​​​​​15/10/2019 Kalma McLelland - DG
12/11/2019 Cathy Booth from Umoja Orphanage Kenya will give an update on her projects at Umoja.
NEXT MEETING:  13 August 2019 Royal Far West  Boardroom
SERGEANTS SESSION AND CROSS FINES – Thank you Ginny - a good one
RAFFLE - Won by Beverley Leahy
NEXT WEEK DUTIES Desk - Norm Thomson  Notes - Susie Morgan, Sergeant - TBD
The Last Word
Image result for cat memes
Weekly Newsletter from the Manly Rotary Club